Hopkinson’s Corners Pioneer Cemetery
SE Lot 4, Concession 1, Nassagaweya Township.
3rd Sideroad and 1st Line (north), Campbellville.
GPS 43.4558°N, –79.995°W
History: Thomas Hopkinson, a native of Derbyshire England, and his wife Anne bought part of Lot 4 Concession 1 in 1845. In 1864 he sold ¼ acre at the north-west corner of First Line and 3rd Sideroad to James Hirst and other trustees of the Methodist Church. All the children in the area attended Sunday School in the little church that was built. The Evangelists also held services there.
In 1911 the Canadian Pacific Railway purchased the old frame church. The May family of Lot 7 Concession 1 bought it from them and used it as a residence.
Due to vandalism, no gravestones remain. A fence and plaque stating “Pioneer Cemetery” previously marked this site but these have also since been removed, likely to obliterate all traces of the old cemetery.
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.