Mount Zion (Whaley’s Corners)

Mount Zion Cemetery
Also known as: Whaley’s Corners

Location:
8149 Winston Churchill Boulevard, Brampton, Peel Region, Ontario, Canada.
Concession 6, Lot 1, Chinguacousy Township.

GPS:
Latitude: 43.6105°N
Longitude: -79.8008°W

History:
The Zion Methodist Church stood in the cemetery among the headstones many years ago. The Zion Church occupied a site at the front of the cemetery property, and slightly to the north of the centre line, according to a descendant of the pioneer May family.

In 1867, a new log and frame church was built and from that date it was known as Mount Zion Methodist Church.

In pioneer years, Zion Methodist was on the Brampton Circuit, then in 1867 it is recorded as part of the newly formed Streetsville Circuit.

The Church building was closed in 1905, and on December 3, 1918, Mount Zion Church and contents were sold by public auction and $571.30 was realized. The pulpit brought the sum of $2.25 and the organ $2.00 plus the sale of nails and the potbellied stove.

The church proper was purchased for $300.00 by Robert J. Whaley; he in turn sold it, and it is now part of the Jack Fraser Farms of Huttonville, made into a driving shed.

The church driving shed was sold for $188.00. It is still standing on the property of Arthur May, Lot 4, Con. 10, Esquesing Township, Halton County.

Through the foresight of the Whaley Family, the cornerstone of the second or third church built in 1867 was saved and has been in the possession of this family since the closing in 1905.

In 1980-1981, a restoration programme was undertaken through the Parks Department of the City of Brampton to have this cemetery restored. In 1982, a cairn was erected to the Memory of the Pioneers of the area, and the Mount Zion Methodist cornerstone was laid at the foot of the cairn.

Mrs. Lois McKinney

Transcription purchase:
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available for digital download from the OGS website – click here to order via credit card.