Ashgrove United Church & Cemetery
Church – NW Lot 9, Concession 8, Esquesing Township.
Cemetery – NE Lot 9, Concession 7, Esquesing Township.
9790 Trafalgar Road, Halton Hills.
GPS 43.6037°N, –79.889°W
History: In 1860 Joseph Ruddell and his wife Frances Mayse donated ¼ acre in the north-east corner of Lot 9, Concession 7, for the purpose of a cemetery and a shed for the horses. The original Board of Trustees were: Joseph Brownridge, Thomas Crawford, George Wrigglesworth Sr., Joseph Ruddell and Hugh K. Nixon. George Wrigglesworth and his wife Isabella France also donated ¼ acre in the westerly corner of Lot 9, Concession 8, (directly across the road) to the Trustees of Mount Pleasant Canadian Wesleyan Methodist New Connection Church. The trustees at the time were: Joseph Brownridge, Thomas Crawford, George Wrigglesworth Sr., Joseph Ruddell and Thomas Walsh. The deeds for these lands were not registered until 25 October 1861, however Thomas Crawford, who was a carpenter, began work on the building.
The opening service of the Mount Pleasant Canadian Wesleyan Methodist New Connection Church took place in November 1860. Donors to the building fund were: Thomas Crawford, George Wrigglesworth, Thomas Walsh, George Nixon, Alfred Thornton, John Howson, John Hunter, Joseph Brownridge, Joseph Ruddell, Hugh Nixon, Richard Graham, Andrew Neilson, William Wilson and Isaac Hunter Sr.
On 27 Jun 1878 another ¼ acre was purchased from Joseph & Frances Ruddell to enlarge the cemetery. As some of the trustees were no longer able to serve, the Board appointed J.H. Nixon, S.K. Ruddell, John Brownridge, John Wrigglesworth and William Hood. On the same date a motion was passed that the price of plots in the new section would be $7 each, with the exception of those located around the outside which would be $6; and that the proceeds from the sale of plots would be used to keep the burial grounds fenced.
Ashgrove was at first part of the Milton New Connection circuit. After the union of the Methodists in 1874 it became part of the Georgetown circuit until 1926 (with the exception of 1886 when it was part of the Norval circuit). With the United Church Union of 1925 it became known as Ashgrove United Church, and became part of the Hornby charge, which also included Bethel United church at Drumquin. In 1968 Ashgrove and Hornby joined together and built a new church on Lot 5, Concession 7, which is known as Hillcrest United church. The Ashgrove United church has since been taken down and put up as a two-family dwelling in Limehouse where it remains to this day. [by Elaine Robinson and Betty Brownridge]
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.