Brown Family Farm Cemetery
SE Lot 4, Concession 9, Esquesing Township.
Ninth Line, Halton Hills.
GPS 43.5973°N, –79.84°W
John and Jannet Brown, born in Scotland, raised a family of four here, Charles, John, Mary and Agnes. John Brown was a man of some standing in the community. He subscribed to the Hamilton Western Mercury in 1832 and signed a petition to Governor Sir Francis Bond Head in 1838. In 1842, Brown was bailiff for Esquesing Township.John Brown was also prosperous. He built a two storey red brick house at the centre of his lot for his family and the help to live in. An exact date has proven difficult to ascertain, but by 1851, nearby Trafalgar Township had many brick homes. The future township hall at Stewarttown was built of red brick in 1849, so with Brown’s local involvement, his house has been dated from this time.
In the 1861 census, John (aged 61) and Jannet (aged 68) Brown lived here with four children, a young boy from Scotland, and two workers.
A small family cemetery sits on the property. Three stones have been identified as John Brown, John Morton Brown and Harriet Waterson. They were two infant burials as well.
Esquesing Township Land Abstract
Dominion of Canada Census 1851, 1861
Esquesing Township Council Minutes
Atlas of Halton County, 1877
Research by J. M. Rowe, February 2001, Esquesing Historical Society
Further to the above, when the cemetery was recorded in October 2009 the stones were in poor condition and almost illegible and some of the names could not be read.
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.