NW Lot 32, Concession 4, Esquesing Township.
Churchill Road (3rd Line), at corner of 32nd Sideroad (Erin-Halton Town Line).
The church is on the south-west corner, and the cemetery is on the south-east corner.
GPS 43.657°N, –80.055°W
The church building, which still stands, was completed in 1843. The trustees were Jacob Swackhammer, John Smith and Peter Masales. The first minister was the Rev. Hiram Denny followed by the Rev. Joseph Unsworth, who was minister from 1854 to 1876. Unsworth lived in Georgetown and was also minister to the Congregationalists there. From 1884 to 1897 Churchill formed a joint charge with Greenlaw Church in Caledon. After union the Rev. Henry Caldwell served Churchill, Limehouse and Glen Williams from 1926 to 1933. This circuit lasted until 1940 when Churchill became part of the Ballinafad, Melville circuit. When threatened with closure by the United Church in 1968 the congregation fought the decision and became the Churchill Community Church, however records were transferred to Trinity United in Acton. [by Elaine Robinson] The cemetery was started in 1827 when Julia Ann, daughter of John Swackhammer died. She was buried in the corner of her uncle’s (Jacob Swackhammer’s) plot.
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.