Churchville Cemetery

Churchville Cemetery

Location:
7935 Churchville Road, Brampton, Peel Region, Ontario, Canada.
Concession 3 W, Lot 15, Toronto Township.

GPS::
Latitude: 43.63909°N
Longitude: -79.76018°W

History:
The Cemetery has been run by a Volunteer Board of Trustees since its conception. It was deeded through a Crown Grant on August 5, 1822 to Andrew Scott, who in turn gave it to the Village of Churchville as a Cemetery, and the first burial that we have record of was Amaziah Church, September 7, 1831. While looking through the old part of the Cemetery we found stones bearing names of many of the prominent families of Peel, ie. Arnott, Beattie, Brooks, Brown, Burns, Burton, Calder, Caldwell, Church, Copeland, Fletcher, Fraser, Graham, Hall, Hardy, Hutton, Ingram, Laidlaw, Letty, Manes, Marchment, Mason, McClure, Neelands, Pearson, Pointer, Thomson, Todd, Trimble, Willis, Wurts, Wilson, etc. The by-law 225-88, “Reason for Designation of Churchville Cemetery,” gives other names and other facts for the historical distinction. This proves that we have a very important piece of history within the boundaries of Brampton that should not be allowed to disappear.
M. Galliford, Secretary Treasurer

The original pioneer section of the Cemetery was donated by Andrew Scott on August 5, 1822. This land was a part of a Crown Grant dated during the reign of King George the Fourth. The remainder of the Cemetery was acquired on January 8, 1892. The cemetery has always been administered by a volunteer Board of Trustees, as it is owned by plot holders.
The first registered interment was that of Amaziah Church, the founder of Churchville Village, on September 7, 1831. His grave is marked by the only wooden monument in the Cemetery.
Names of early pioneers buried in the Cemetery reflect current residents in this area and their acquaintances: Church, Hall, Fogerty, Laidlaw, Hutton, Gooderham, Warts, Varey, Wilson, Needham, Fraser, McClure, Arnott, Davidson, Sinclair, Burton, Golden and Rollings. Pioneers of the Port Credit area are interred in the southwest corner. Burials were in the middle to late 1800’s. There is also a number of children’s graves in the middle of the pioneer portion dated in 1852, when a plague of some sort may have passed through the area. Paupers’ graves are situated in the rear of the pioneer section. No record of the identity of the deceased is known to exist.

New section purchased 1888 for $200 given to the cemetery board by the late Erastus Wiman of Toronto and New York. New section surveyed by C. J. Wheelock, P.L.S. in January 1892.

In 1926 the cemetery was taken over by the descendents of the pioneers, as a charge to beautify and maintain. This year (1931) perpetual care will be established at a cost of $100 per lot, or a yearly cost of $3.00.

In June 15, 1931, Officers elected were:
President: Stanley Hall
Vice-President: O R Church
Secretary Treasurer: J W Hall
Committee: Stanley Hall, Cleuger Fraser, Albert Marchment
Manager of Cemetery: James Letty

Rededication of the Cemetery, celebrating its 175th anniversary, was held on Sunday Sept 7, 1997.

Transcription purchase:
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available for digital download from the OGS website – click here to order via credit card.