Colling Pioneer Cemetery
Mid. E Lot 4, Concession 3, Nelson Township.
5544 Guelph Line, Burlington (Lowville).
GPS 43.422883°N, –79.89227°W
History: The Colling family had the original Crown Grant to their land dated 1821 giving them 2,000 acres of Anglican Clergy Reserve land. There were four brothers and two sisters who came out from Weardale, Durham County, England in 1820. The land on which the family cemetery is located is on the 200 acres owned by Joseph Colling at Lot 4 Concession 3. In 1830 Joseph Colling also donated land for a church on this property. The church was first known as Colling Wesleyan Methodist Church but was renamed Lowville Wesleyan Methodist Church in 1855.
The family cemetery is located further to the south of the Church along Guelph Line and stands on the farm of Ewart Colling, who is Joseph’s great-great-grandson and whose farm consists of 150 acres of the original grant. The cemetery is a little difficult to see, and with no shoulder on the road, it may be advisable to park at Lowville United Church and walk down. [by Jane Watt & Trudy Mann]
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.