Dublin Roman Catholic Church & Cemetery
NE Lot 25, Concession 1, Esquesing Township.
Dublin Line, Acton.
GPS 43.6089°N, –80.0369°W
By 1887 the congregation had outgrown this church and in co-operation with the Jesuit Fathers managed to purchase a church in Acton that the Congregationalists had built around 1877 and, due to financial difficulties, had sold to the Salvation Army around 1880. They remodelled it and paid off the debt in a comparatively short time. When they were settled in this church which was renamed to St. Joseph’s, the pews from the Dublin church were removed and sold to the new Sacred Heart parish in Rockwood. The building was sold to Mr. Kirkpatrick who tore it down and rebuilt it as a private home elsewhere.
The cemetery is still maintained. Records of births, marriages and deaths from 1854 to 1956 are kept at St. Joseph’s Church, but our recording has not been compared to the death records. It is possible that there are records of the Jesuits in Guelph but this also has not been checked.
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.
Acton’s Early Days (Acton Free Press, 1939)
Halton County Early Church Histories, Volume 1, Esquesing (Trudy Mann, 1983)