Grahamsville United Church Cemetery

Grahamsville United Church Cemetery
Also known as: Shiloh Wesleyan Methodist Church Cemetery

Location:
West side of Airport Road, south of Steeles Ave., Malton, Mississauga, Peel Region, Ontario, Canada.
Concession 6E Lot 5, Toronto Township.

GPS:
Latitude: 43.72123°N
Longitude: -79.66645°W

History:
A group of Protestant Irish from County Tyrone, Ireland emigrated to New York in 1812, just prior to the War of Independence from Great Britain. After the war they moved to Canada to the Grahamsville area circa 1821.

The Church was originally known as the Shiloh Chapel (Wesleyan Methodist), established on land donated by Thomas Graham in 1843. Earlier services were held in Hopkin’s School on the 5th line Chinguacousy Township. Trustees of the Chapel were Thomas Graham, John Watson, James Aitkins, Isaac Bird, Alex Watson and George Graham.

The original church was a frame building, which was later replaced by a brick structure similar to the old Bethesda Church on Dundas Street in Mississauga. Over the next several years, a cement floor was put in the shed, electricity installed and the walls (both exterior and interior) renovated, in order to carry on the work of the congregation.

In 1868, a new church building was constructed on land donated by Jeremiah and Rebecca Cummings. The property was deeded to the congregation in 1869 and became known as the Shiloh Wesleyan Methodist church. The frame building was demolished in 1872. In 1925, the congregation joined the United Church at which time it became known as the Grahamsville United Church. The last service was held on June 24 1962 and the Church has since been demolished.

The first Minister was the Rev Wm McFadden from 1868-1870 and was on the Toronto Township Circuit. It later became part of the Brampton Circuit until the general Methodist Union of 1884. There have been a total of 29 ministers and 37 junior men serving the congregation since its inception up to 1868, and 32 ministers and 9 junior men since then until the church
closed in 1962.

The earliest burials in the cemetery took place about 1846.

Resource: from “This Year Hence” by Tavender and from Lois Knight.

Ronald H Hibbert

Transcription purchase:
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available for digital download from the OGS website – click here to order via credit card.