Hornby Presbyterian Church & Cemetery
SW Lot 1, Concession 9, Esquesing Township.
8021 Eighth Line, Halton Hills (Hornby).
GPS 43.5787°N, –79.831°W
History: The first church on this site was a frame building built in 1835. Rev. William Barr was the first minister of whom we have any record. He owned 50 acres adjoining Reamonts and may have sold the 5 acres, on which the manse was built, to the church. His wife was buried in the cemetery in 1857 so he likely concluded his pastorate about 1860.
The original church was replaced with a brick one, built by John Hunter of Milton, which was opened 20 January 1878. Money was subscribed by neighbours as well as church members. One donation was from Charlie O’Connor, a Roman Catholic. Some of the names appearing on the subscription list to the Minister’s stipend in 1860 were: Thomas Patterson, William Robertson, Henry Arnott, Sam King, Robert McMillan, John McMillan, John McClure, James Mason, Robert Shand, Robert McCurdy, David Brooks, John Brooks, Arthur Brooks, Allan McDugald, Robert Rush, William White, William Hall, Thomas McCallum, Thomas Erwin, Angus Currie and James Thomson. The first minister of this church was a Mr. Stewart. There was no organ at first, and Mr. George Kennedy’s father was the Precentor. The congregation stood up to pray and sat down to sing. An organ was installed in 1883. [from information provided by Mary Jones]
On 14 January 1976 the brick church was destroyed by fire. Small footprints were found in the snow around the church and many people suspected arson, however no conclusion was ever reached as to the cause (Georgetown Herald, 21 Jan 1976).
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.