Hornby Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery
SE Lot 1, Concession 8, Esquesing Township.
8002 Eighth Line, Halton Hills (Hornby).
GPS 43.5783°N, –79.831°W
History: The first Methodist church in Hornby was reported to be a log chapel on the corner of William McKindsey’s property on Lot 1, Concession 8. The land actually belonged to Kings College until 11 March 1840, when the east half was sold to McKindsey. On 30 April 1832, McKindsey sold 30 perches to the trustees of the Wesleyan Methodist church. This indenture was not registered until 1842 because he didn’t actually own the land until 1840. William McKindsey was a merchant, and the trustees’ names were Patrick Crawford, Lindsay Crawford, James Crawford (all of Trafalgar), John Boomer (Bulmer) and William Armstrong of Esquesing. In 1856 a brick church farther west on the Trafalgar side was built. It was part of a circuit that included Bowes, Munns, Wesley McCurdy’s, Omagh, and Bethel. This new church became Hornby United and was closed on 17 November 1968, joining with Ashgrove United in a new church named Hillcrest on Lot 5, Concession 7. [by Elaine Robinson]
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.