Lundy Burial Ground
SE Lot 10, Concession 3, Chinguacousy Township.
Dixie Rd, about 1 mile north of Hwy 7, Brampton.
GPS 43.7306°N, –79.75°W
The opening service of the Mount Pleasant Canadian Wesleyan Methodist New Connection Church took place in November 1860. Donors to the building fund were: Thomas Crawford, George Wrigglesworth, Thomas Walsh, George Nixon, Alfred Thornton, John Howson, John Hunter, Joseph Brownridge, Joseph Ruddell, Hugh Nixon, Richard Graham, Andrew Neilson, William Wilson and Isaac Hunter Sr.
On 27 Jun 1878 another ¼ acre was purchased from Joseph & Frances Ruddell to enlarge the cemetery. As some of the trustees were no longer able to serve, the Board appointed J.H. Nixon, S.K. Ruddell, John Brownridge, John Wrigglesworth and William Hood. On the same date a motion was passed that the price of plots in the new section would be $7 each, with the exception of those located around the outside which would be $6; and that the proceeds from the sale of plots would be used to keep the burial grounds fenced.
Ashgrove was at first part of the Milton New Connection circuit. After the union of the Methodists in 1874 it became part of the Georgetown circuit until 1926 (with the exception of 1886 when it was part of the Norval circuit). With the United Church Union of 1925 it became known as Ashgrove United Church, and became part of the Hornby charge, which also included Bethel United church at Drumquin. In 1968 Ashgrove and Hornby joined together and built a new church on Lot 5, Concession 7, which is known as Hillcrest United church. The Ashgrove United church has since been taken down and put up as a two-family dwelling in Limehouse where it remains to this day. [by Elaine Robinson and Betty Brownridge] This family cemetery is the burial place for Francis Lundy, his wife, some children and grandchildren. Francis Lundy came from County Monaghan, Ireland in 1823. His farm where the cemetery is located was a Crown Grant.
As Methodists, it is not known why they chose to bury on the farm rather than at Mount Olivet, adjacent to the south. Perhaps the latter was not yet opened when the first family death occurred.
Back in the 1930s the small cemetery was completely surrounded by cedar trees which have since disappeared. A fence was put up by a Mr. Upshaw. The gate, to both Lundy and Mount Olivet cemeteries, was presented by Jean Williamson (of Snelgrove), Arthur Lundy (Brampton) and Lorne Lundy (Weston), great-great-grandchildren of Francis. [by Trudy Mann]
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.