Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Methodist Church & Cemetery

NW Lot 13, Concession 8, Esquesing Township.
10579 Trafalgar Road, Halton Hills.
GPS 43.6196°N, –79.9098°W

History: On 1 April 1833 innkeeper George Thompson sold one acre of land to John Harrison, John Reed, Christopher Cook, William Morrison and George Murray for £50. The land was to be occupied as a graveyard and was for the situation of a schoolhouse or Methodist meeting house or both. Apparently a rough cast chapel was built on the property in 1844. The building was closed in 1858 and moved to land donated by Thomas Thompson on Lot 16, Concession 8. The remodelled Stewarttown Wesleyan Church was opened in January of 1859. The trustees were John Reed Sr., John Robinson, Thomas Thompson, John Freeman, Henry Wright, William Graham, John Henry, John W. Reed, George Lindley, Andrew H. Cummins and James Brown.
The cemetery was neglected for many years but finally restored by the Ashgrove Women’s Institute. [by Elaine Robinson]Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site click here for price/order.