Nelson United Church & Cemetery
SW Lot 16, Concession 1 NDS (North of Dundas Street), Nelson Township.
2437 Dundas Street, Burlington.
GPS 43.37536°N, –79.8433°W
History: The church and adjoining burial grounds are on the north side of Dundas Street just west of Guelph Line at Nelson Village (formerly Hannahsville) and now part of Burlington. Moses McCay received the patent to Lot 16 (200 acres) on 12 April, 1809, and on January 26, 1830, sold one acre to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church. David Springer bought 100 acres on Feb. 2, 1854 and sold one acre to the trustees of the Wesleyan Methodist Church on March 25, 1861. The large stone, “Springer House”, still stands on a rise just west of the church.
In 1830, a frame church with gallery was built which served until the present stone church was built in 1859. In 1975, it was on circuit with Palermo, and the minister, Rev. J. Donaldson, lived in the manse adjoining Palermo church. Apparently no early church or cemetery registers exist.
The earliest stone is that of Martha Calvert who died in 1828. The cemetery is still open for burials. [by Miller Peart]
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.