St. David’s Presbyterian Church & Cemetery
NE Lot 6, Concession 3, Nassagaweya Township.
130 Main Street North (Guelph Line), Campbellville.
Church – GPS 43.489432°N, –79.985662°W
Cemetery – GPS 43.4894°N, –79.9867°W
History: A mission was formed at Campbellville in 1854 with services held in a local barn or school house. In 1864 a meeting was held to consider building a church. The work began in May 1865, and the first church opened on 7 November of that same year. This frame building was on the south side of the pond on what is now McLaren Road. It wasn’t until 1869 that the Presbytery granted the church permission to organize a separate congregation. Fifty-eight members from the Nassagaweya church formed the new congregation. These two churches formed one charge and remain so today. By 1884 an addition was needed to accommodate the rapidly growing membership until, in 1890, a decision was made to construct a new church.
David Wheelihan offered a site on his property at Lot 6, Concession 3, and to show their gratitude the members named their new church “St. David’s”. The building was begun in April 1891, with James A. Ellis, the architect and Douglas Lamb, the stonemason. Archibald McGibben provided the 900 pound cornerstone which was laid by David Christie. The building opened on 15 November 1891, complete with a new cemetery behind the church. In 1925 the congregation voted against union with the newly-formed United Church. [by Elaine Robinson]
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.