St. George’s Anglican Church & Cemetery
SW Lot 11, Concession 4, Nelson Township.
7051 Guelph Line (north of Derry Rd), Lowville.
GPS 43.449215°N, –79.928°W
History: George Agnew and his wife, Sarah Ann Dice, sold to the Trustees of the Episcopal Church part of the south west half of Lot 11, Concession 4 N.S. The church was established in 1856. The first building was a wooden frame church and which opened in October 1857. It was located just south of today’s church. The registers show the first marriage recorded April 1868 and the first baptism in 1871. The church burial registers indicate that most of the deceased between 1870 and 1900 were born in Ontario and came from the villages of Kilbride, Cumminsville, Lowville, Nelson and Flamboro, with some from Ireland and England.
The new stone church opened on 10 December 1896 and was built with roughly-hewn stone jutting out unevenly to give it the appearance of a 19th century English church.
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.