St. John’s Anglican Church Cemetery
Lot 16, Concession 1 SDS, Nelson Township.
2664 Dundas Street, Burlington. (south side just west of Guelph Line)
GPS 43.37579°N, –79.84164°W
History: In the early 1830’s, William Spence, Joseph Ireland and J. Wettenhall petitioned the Bishop of Quebec for a new parish in Nelson (formerly Hannahsville). Services began in Bally Kilbeg, the schoolhouse, on November 15, 1835, conducted by Rev. Mr. Mack of St. Luke’s, Burlington.
On November 9, 1838, William McKay was named chairman of a building committee for a new church on three-quarters of an acre donated by Thomas Atkinson. The contract, let to William Grant, John Malcolm and Alexander Brown for 378 pounds, was completed in 1842 for dedication by Rev. Dr. Thomas Green.
In 1859, Rev. W. Hunter, assistant at St. Luke’s, took charge, followed by Rev. H. McCollom, Rev. E. Clark, and Rev. Canon W. Belt, until 1887, when it became associated with Waterdown.
After two years, St. John’s was united with Lowville and Nassagaweya, served in turn by Rev. Motherwell, Rev. Morton and Rev. Seaman. After being closed for a year and a half and having lay readers for a short time, it was reunited with St. Luke’s in 1895.
From 1910 till 1922, Nelson, Palermo and Omagh were united under Rev. Canon R. L. Weaver. From 1922 till 1975, St. John’s was reunited with Waterdown.
Written by; The Late Rev. Gordon Brownell
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.