St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church & Cemetery
NW Lot 12, Concession 1 SDS (South of Dundas Street), Nelson Township.
Dundas Street, Burlington.
GPS 43.3863°N, –79.82988°W
History: Rev. William King organized a congregation in this area in 1819. The land, a part of Lot 12, Concession 1 SDS, was deeded to the Trustees by Gilbert Bastedo. The first frame church was opened for service in 1822. Worshippers came from Bronte, Port Nelson, Wellington Square, Waterdown and points north.
The present church was built in 1867, a little to the west of the original frame building. A fire in 1960 damaged the interior which was restored by the following year. Over the years, St. Paul’s has been connected in some way to Waterdown, Kilbride, Knox Burlington and Knox Sixteen. The church today (1981) is looked after by a retired minister.
St. Paul’s Cemetery partially surrounds St. Paul’s Church. The first known burial, which predates the erection of the first church, was Sarah Bastedo, daughter of Gilbert and Marion Bastedo, who died in 1817 at the age of 21 days. Many veterans from the War of 1812 are buried here. One stone is that of Lieutenant Peter McGregor, born 1763 in Pennsylvania, who served in the Fourth Royal Veteran Battalion. He died in Nelson twelve years after the war had ended. The cemetery is under the care of the City of Burlington. No burial register has been found to date. [by Jane Watt and Trudy Mann]
Transcriptions of this cemetery are available on-line by credit card from the O.G.S. web site – click here for price/order.